[arch-general] cups not starting on boot after last 2 kernel updates? -- where to put it in the DAEMONS line?

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Tue Aug 9 16:25:39 EDT 2011

Karol Blazewicz [2011.08.09 1744 +0200]:
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp at ttlc.net> wrote:
> >
> > It would appear that on Aug 8, Peter Bui did say:
> >
> >> You have @cups in DAEMONS ... probably need @cupsd?
> >
> > It would appear that on Aug 8, J. W. Birdsong did say:
> >
> >> You need to start  cupsd in rc.conf daemons... not cups
> >
> > It would appear that on Aug 8, David C. Rankin did say:
> >
> >> Peter, J.W. -- thank you. (slaps self for stupidity) That is a
> >> 'forest-for-the-trees' issue it would have taken days to see!
> >
> > Hmmmnnn. Now I'm confused... According to my console login prompt, I'm
> > currently using 2.6.39-ARCH And after a recent pacman -Syu cups stopped
> >
> > There had, if I remember right, been a {is it 'rc.confpacnew' or
> > 'rc.conf.pacnew'?} that didn't have cups listed in the daemons line.
> > Anyway I remember putting "cupsd" the new rc.conf first, and when that didn't
> > work I edited it to just say "cups". I didn't think much about it at the time.
> > All I cared was that my printer worked again.
> >
> > But why would one Arch Linux installation need "cups" in the daemons line
> > while another needs "cupsd"???
> >
> > --
> > |  ~^~   ~^~
> > |  <?>   <?>       Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
> > |      ^                J(tWdy)P
> > |    \___/         <<jtwdyp at ttlc.net>>
> >

> Which version of cups needs 'cups' in the DAEMONS array?

It seems that older versions of the cups package installed /etc/rc.d/cups and
not /etc/rc.d/cupsd.  At least I had cups in the DAEMONS array, and it always
worked until I did some pacman -Suy.  It didn't take long to figure out,
though, that the name of the script was now changed to cupsd.

Cheers,
Norbert