[arch-general] Alsa/Pulse not using sound cards?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Aug 9 16:36:56 EDT 2011

On 08/09/2011 04:30 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> On 08/09/2011 02:58 PM, Nikhil Bysani wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My system's sound is no longer is working.
>>
>> No, it's not muted, the sound modules are loaded, and there
>> are pcm's in /dev/snd but no /dev/dsp. Also, while alsamixer
>> does show the sound cards, it is only using the null device, and
>> pulse audo doesn't see the sound cards either. Anyone know why
>> alsa might not be using the soudn cards?
>
> Have you loaded the snd-pcm-oss module too?
>
> DR

In fact, why don't you post the output of this:

[darose at daroselin MacrosensePipetree]$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_pcm_oss            38818  0
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     22092  1
snd_hda_codec_realtek   294224  1
snd_hda_intel          22122  14
snd_hda_codec          77927  3
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               6325  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                73856  8
snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer              19416  5 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc          7121  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss          15275  2 snd_pcm_oss
snd                    57786  27
snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss
soundcore               6146  2 snd

DR