[arch-general] CD eject as non-root user

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Thu Aug 18 13:08:18 EDT 2011

Am Thu, 18 Aug 2011 18:55:08 +0200
schrieb Karol Blazewicz <karol.blazewicz at gmail.com>:

> I've noticed that I have problems after I mount the CD: the button on
> the CD-ROM doesn't eject the tray, but 'eject' command works.
> I get 'ioctl: Input/output error' but the tray opens OK.
>
> Opening and closing the tray w/o mounting works all the time - with
> the hardware button and w/ 'eject', w/o any errors.

That's obvious. You have the same effect on any other OS, too.

If the drive is in use, which is the case if it's mounted, the CD can't
be ejected, because the CD-ROM drive locks its tray.

If you haven't mounted the CD then the drive is not in use, so you can
open and close the tray as much as you want and the way you want.

I don't know exactly why eject can open the tray if the CD is mounted.
Maybe because it first umounts the CD.

Heiko