[arch-general] CD eject as non-root user

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Thu Aug 18 15:43:52 EDT 2011

Karol Blazewicz [2011.08.18 2122 +0200]:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> > Am Thu, 18 Aug 2011 13:44:23 -0300
> > schrieb Norbert Zeh <nzeh at cs.dal.ca>:
> >
> >> I have a strange problem with ejecting CDs from my CD drive.
> >>
> >> As root:
> >>
> >> eject and eject -t work flawlessly
> >> eject -T gives
> >>
> >>     ioctl: Input/output error
> >>
> >> As non-root user:
> >>
> >> eject -t closes the tray as expected
> >> eject gives
> >>
> >>     eject: unable to eject, last error: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> >>
> >> eject -T gives the same result as for root
> >>
> >> It doesn't matter whether I do or do not specify sr0 as the device to
> >> eject.  The non-root user that I try to execute this command as is in
> >> the optical group.

> >> Does anybody else experience this type of problem?  Does anybody have
> >> any pointers what may be wrong with my setup?
> >
> > Eject only works for root. So you have to use sudo to be able to
> > ejecting the CDs.
> >
> > Heiko
> >

> Not sure if anyone already pointed to this bug report
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25405
> It deals with eject not working properly.

Aah, this seems to mirror exactly what I'm experiencing.  So at least it's a
known issue, and the good thing is that the status says "Assigned".  It says
nothing about "eject -T" not working, and on my machines eject -T does not work
as either root or non-root, but I would suspect that these two issues are
closely related.

Cheers,
Norbert