[arch-general] replacement for clyde

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 11:43:18 EDT 2011

2011/8/19 Cédric Girard <girard.cedric at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've used yaourt for a couple of years now.
>> It has always worked for me for the most part, and having a common
>> command for everything is very convenient for me. alias y=yaourt and
>> you have one of the simplest ways to do a complete update of your
>> system, y -Syua
>>

> I understand this may seems convenient to some. For me it is just useless
> and just abstract things from the user.

Definitely a valid opinion, as abstraction might be convenient or
inexpedience to different audiences, which is why there really isn't a
right answer.
Programming also has this quality.

> If I want to run pacman -Rs foo, why
> would I be motivated to do yaourt -Rs foo instead if yaourt only call pacman
> -Rs foo ?
>

>> I always ignored people's comments because the majority argues that it
>> is "either too slow", or the "code is ugly".
>> These same people would probably be horrified looking through vim's code :P
>> These points alone do not make a very convincing argument for me,
>> which is why I grew numb to them.
>>

> Well you're right, by itself the quality of the code is not an argument for
> the end-user. But when the lack of quality impacts speed and this can be
> supported by figures then I'd say it makes things completely different.

I agree that your arguments have a valid point of view all the way up
to this point where you lost me.
For me, "lack of quality" is in the same category as "lack of quality
impacts speed"
For example, lets have the same badly written algorithm compiled with
no optimization and the other being compiled with -O999 ZOMG!!
It doesn't matter to me if one ruins your system faster, it will still
do the same thing.
This is why I think the "lack of quality impacts speed" issue being
completely different from "lack of quality" is invalid.