[arch-general] Framebuffer Reset

pants pants at cs.hmc.edu
Fri Aug 19 16:20:22 EDT 2011

Hello,

I run my desktop from the framebuffer, and often use the fbdev mplayer
video output to watch video.  I generally do this by sshing in to the
machine via my laptop, running

# export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

to get video to output to my desktop's display.  Occasionally, while
watching something, my ssh connection gets killed.  My dhcp might renew
on a reconnect, or the shell running mplayer might get killed, but
the mplayer process dies without closing correctly.  As a result, the
last frame rendered by mplayer is stuck on the screen.  Changes to the
framebuffer will remove this image locally, but areas that can't be
cleared (like a small strip on the bottom of the screen) retain the
image indefinitely.  Furthermore, using fbdev again with mplayer causes
each subsequent final frame to become similarly stuck, regardless of how
mplayer is quit.

Is there some way to 'reset' the framebuffer and stop this without
restarting?

Cheers,

pants
--