[arch-general] replacement for clyde

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Sat Aug 20 16:47:56 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 12:30, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Am Sat, 20 Aug 2011 12:17:40 -0500
> schrieb Myra Nelson <myra.nelson at hughes.net>:
>
>> This insures your deps are installed unless the deps are in the AUR.
>
> As far as I know yaourt installs the deps which are in the AUR
> automatically and writes them into the package database, so that pacman
> is aware of those dependencies, too. So that they are automatically
> uninstalled, too, if the main package is uninstalled, also if it's
> uninstalled by pacman instead of yaourt.
>
> And the PKGBUILDs and .install files can, of course, be viewed first.
>
> Heiko

That's true, but I prefer to do my own research and install the deps
myself. Yes it's a longer process, but then I'm sure any mistakes are
mine. To me using an AUR helper to install the deps automattically is
like blindly doing this "pacman -syu" without following arch linux
mailing lists, reading any arch news posts, or not paying attention to
any warning messages then saying yes when asked if you want to
continue with the updates. That's just my personal opinion born from
making some mistakes along the way, however to each his own.

Myra