[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Pacman 4.0.0 RC1 "release"

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun Aug 21 03:52:15 EDT 2011

On 21/08/11 17:40, Myra Nelson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:28, Dan McGee<dpmcgee at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> For the daring, pick your poison (by architecture):
>>
>> * pacman -U http://dev.archlinux.org/~dan/pacman-4.0.0rc1-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
>> * pacman -U http://dev.archlinux.org/~dan/pacman-4.0.0rc1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
>>
>> Allan, Dave, and I (and probably a few others) run pacman-git on most
>> of our systems with no problems, so their should be no real shockers
>> or problems if you give this a spin. There are no database upgrades or
>> changes this time so downgrading later should work fine if truly
>> necessary.
>>
>> What we're looking for feedback on:
>>
>> * any build failures in makepkg you may see
>> * if you manage a custom repo, how does repo-add work for you
>> * does pacman behave as it did before
>> * if you want to sign packages, does the functionality in makepkg and
>> the documentation make sense
>> * same for signing repos- does it work for you
>>
>> What we know isn't there yet:
>> * translations
>> * a developer keyring (or keyring package)- if you delve into this,
>> you will need to look at pacman-key for now
>> * great error messages on verification failure, or ability to import
>> keys on the fly if it is unknown
>>
>> Note that we'd love testing even if you don't plan on touching any of
>> the new signing stuff- there were 500+ commits worth of changes in
>> this release, including a switch to curl as the download library, so
>> anything out of the ordinary should be reported. Please choose -git as
>> the version in the bugtracker if you do it that way, otherwise email
>> pacman-dev.
>>
>> Happy testing!
>>
>> -Dan
>>

> This may not be in the right place but I just experienced an error
> while upgrading. This is the first hiccup I've noticed since
> installing the pacman-4.0.0.rc1. I put a copy of the pacman log for
> the last two days and the error messages I'm receiving here:
> http://pastebin.com/WsCJPpqk .
>
> This is a sample of the error, :: File
> /var/cache/pacman/pkg/avahi-0.6.30-5-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted
> (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)). It was the same for
> device-mapper, eject, fakeroot, and lvm2.
>
> I tried changing mirrors from rit.edu to mirrors1.kernel.org and
> resyncing with pacman -Syy. I still received the same errors. Other
> packages upgraded just fine, inetutils; net-tools; atool. Since I'm
> not familiar enough with the pacman code I'm not sure where to go
> next. If I need to file a bug report I will be glad to.

Use --debug to get more detailed error messages.

Basically, signatures are now being included in our repo databases.  You
do not have them in your pacman keyring so pacman can not validate the
package.  Read the man pages for pacman-key and pacman.conf to find out
more on how to configure your system to deal with this.

You can get developer keys from:
http://www.archlinux.org/developers/

Allan