[arch-general] btrfs & Arch

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Mon Aug 22 12:34:46 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Gour-Gadadhara Dasa <gour at atmarama.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 09:38:52 +0200
> Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Using LVM and software RAID is the right thing to do here. Any
>> particular reason why you don't want it?
>
> To have one layer less.
>
>> btrfs is not ZFS. and btrfs is still experimental, and I think there
>> are some people here who had bad experience with it.
>
> That's good to know. Thanks.

i can more or less echo what Jan said -- running here since circa .30
as well.  i totally fsck'd (pun intended :-) my FS once, and have
needed to zero the log tree twice in that time, although i likely
punish the FS a bit more than average user likely ... the time i hosed
it i was doing some funky --bind mounts *through* and *directly to*
the "special" subvolume dirs.

if you want to use it you'll probably just want to keep close eye on
development and be conservative about chosen options (eg. bootloaders
cant handle compression/etc), but IME at least it's been pretty solid
all things considered :-)

... if you need an external backup solution it works great as a
fast/efficient differential system, whereby each "backup" is an really
an in-place rsync to a new snapshot.  there are folks working on a
means to "remote-send" the FS to other destinations, now sure the
exact details on that one.

... and the fsck appears to be literally days away ... Chris just
mentioned it again a day or two ago before going on vacation, though
it's seemed close for some time now.  in short, it's definitely
doable, and it's crammed with a bunch of interesting features, but you
should at this point still be prepared to recover and/or lose it all
(but to be fair, in a couple years on the list i haven't seen many
FS'es totally nuked)

--

C Anthony