[arch-general] btrfs & Arch

Gour-Gadadhara Dasa gour at atmarama.net
Wed Aug 24 01:28:47 EDT 2011

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:25:52 -0500
C Anthony Risinger <anthony at xtfx.me> wrote:

> ... tbh, unless you want to get a feel for it, are ready to
> troubleshoot, or have a specific use-case -- and have some other
> backup systems in place -- you'll probably just want to roll with "the
> usual" for now.

Let me say that I'm a bit spoiled with elegant setup I've on FreeBSD with ZFS
and would like to mimic it on Linux with btrfs.

Machine is connected to UPS and I've tape backup.

However, I'm still not sure how the setup should be for 2 disks in mirror?

With ZFS, I've everything; iow. root, boot & swap in single pool which is then
mirrored to the 2nd disk which is part of the same pool.

With btrfs, I understand I can avoid using separate /boot and have root on
btrfs, add two disks as raid-1 under btrfs partition, but wonder whato do in
regard to swap considering btrfs does not provide swap space?

Does it mean that I'd have to create separate swap partitions on each disk and
put them into raid-1 array with mdadm and then put the rest of the disk(s) as
btrfs partion in mirror?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
“In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
all mental speculations…” (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)