[arch-general] btrfs & Arch

Gour-Gadadhara Dasa gour at atmarama.net
Wed Aug 24 15:44:44 EDT 2011

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:44:10 -0500
C Anthony Risinger <anthony at xtfx.me> wrote:

> unfortunately you can only do /boot on btrfs if you use a single disk
> due to bootloader limitations:

Thank you for clarification...I was not really understanding the limitation.

> swap has been disabled in btrfs because it will corrupt it ...

That's not such an issue. I may just create swap paritions...

> so yeah, you'd need something like `mdadm` to handle the RAID bits.

OK. Thanks.

> after all that, it might be simpler to just use ext4 since your
> running softraid anyway ... unless you want to try stuff like
> compression and snapshots.

I'd like to try snapshots and wonder how does compression effect performance
when using e.g. lzo, iow, it is recommended for desktop machine?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
“In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
all mental speculations…” (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)