[arch-general] Keycode kernel patch doesn't change keycodes anymore

Marcel Korpel marcel.lists at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 11:54:47 EDT 2011

Hi all,

As I do not get replies to my forum post [1], I'll try asking this
question here.

Up until recently, I used to get the zoom slider on my Microsoft
Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 working by following the instructions
in a Gentoo Wiki page [2]. In short, by applying a small patch [3] to
my custom compiled (ZEN-)kernel the keycodes of the slider are changed
to values below 255, enabling the X server to process those keycodes.

Unfortunately, after a recent kernel update I get different keycodes,
as if the patch isn't applied at all, although I can confirm that
include/linux/input.h is still changed. My keycodes now read:

$ showkey
keycode 418 press
keycode 418 release
keycode 419 press
keycode 419 release

I flipped through latest kernel changes of 2.6.38.x [4] and 2.6.39.x
[5] (that I currently use) but was not able to find a change that
might have influenced the (translation of these) keycodes.

Anyone here that has an idea what might cause this issue?

Kind regards,
Marcel

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=125259
[2] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Microsoft_Natural_Ergonomic_Keyboard_4000