[arch-general] system slowing down when copying files.

Auguste Pop auguste at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 21:17:44 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
<vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> On 08/27/2011 12:42 AM, Madhurya Kakati wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> My system tends to slow down a lot when I copy files to and from a pen
>> drive or even from one hard disk to another. Even my mouse cursor
>> slows down. The system becomes almost unusable. I more than enough RAM
>> and I am using a tiling window manager. So I am not even using a lot
>> of RAM. Why is this happening? I can't work on my system if I run any
>> large file copy/move operation. Please help.
>> Thanks.
>>
> If you have 1GiB or more of RAM, one cause in recent kernels can be
> transparent hugepages. Disable it from boot with transparent_hugepage=never
> on kernel cmd param.
> Maybe this is fixed in newer 3.0, I do not know, I still have disable, some
> day I will test again if was improved.
>
> --
> Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
> \cos^2\alpha + \sin^2\alpha = 1

will transparent_hugepage=madvise be saner so that apps that do
benefits from transparent hugepages and explicitly asked for it can
have this feature available? unfortunately, i have no idea whether cp
and mv are using these features. ;-)

best regards,