[arch-general] system slowing down when copying files.

Uli Armbruster uli.armbruster at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 28 03:53:04 EDT 2011

* Qadri <Muhammad.A.Qadri at gmail.com> [28.08.2011 01:13]:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Uli Armbruster <
> uli.armbruster at googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> > This happens on my machine as well. The reason is, that the kernel swaps
> > much more with linux 3.0 than 2.6.39. It moves programs into swap to get
> > more space in ram for cache, which imo is a really stupid idea. This happens
> > with cfs and bfs here.
> >

> If this is the case, it should be amended by setting the swappiness to a
> lower value, no? A simple `echo "20" > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness` would help.
> In lieu of a debate, just look at the discussion at [1].
>
> MAQ.
>
> [1] http://kerneltrap.org/node/3000

Sure, the problem can be corrected a little bit with setting the swappiness to another level. In the kernels before 3.0 I used swappiness=100 and it was VERY nice, now this setting is unusable, the kernel swaps WAY to much. The behavior with the default setting also changed. That's why I mentioned it here, I'm pretty sure that's the problem the op has.