[arch-general] [SOLVED] Re: only root can select/copy text using gpm

Juan R. de Silva juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 19:45:27 EDT 2011

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 22:19:02 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> I installed and configured gpm daemon. The daemon starts and the mouse
> works fine, including copy-and-paste. But only in a console were I log
> as root.
>
> When I open another tty and login there as a normal user, the mouse
> cursor is available. I mean, it is visible and moves as desired. But I
> can neither select nor copy anything, since drugging does not work.
>
> The whole point of installing gpm for me was to facilitate the use of
> Arch Wiki sources and instead of typing large pieces just copying and
> pasting them. Having this problem I would be forced to run 'links' in a
> root environment that does not seem very safe to me.
>
> Is there any solution for this, please?

Sorry for misleading you folks.

I've just figured I was wrong. gpm works as expected in both root and
user consoles. This is 'links' that for some reason does not allow me
copying text using mouse.

I'm looking into it right now. I'm probably missing some library or
something like this.

But as per the subject it's a kind of solved. :-)