[arch-general] USB Buffering Issue

pomhg daisuke14164 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 23:03:37 EST 2011

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 18:58:44 +0800, Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Friday 02 Dec 2011 11:54:45 Timothy Redaelli wrote:
>> Hi,
>> by default linux mounts the devices with the async option.
>> You can mount using the sync option, so you are sure that the I/O is
>> made synchronously.
>> Just remember: "In case of media with limited number of write cycles
>> (e.g. some flash drives) "sync" may cause life-cycle shortening."
>> (from man 8 mount)
>
> Yes, that's probably it.  I don't see "sync" in the mount options, so I'm
> guessing it's being mounted async.  Shouldn't udev be taking care of
> this for
> usb drives?
>
> By the way, I'm mounting the drive via udisks (from KDE).  So noone else
> is
> seeing this?
>
> Paul

Hi,I've got same problem here. I'm using xfce with udiskie and rox instead
of thunar for automounting.
With 'rox copy' or 'cp', it just immediately ended. From iotop I can see
that 'flush' is still active.
So my solution is writing a shell script for rox custom menu, in which I
put 'sync && udiskie-umount "$@"'.
I hope there is a better way to solve this.

I tried the solution mentioned by Timothy Redaelli about the udev rules,
but didn't help.