[arch-general] Deleting packages

Guillermo Leira gleira at gleira.com
Sun Dec 4 16:02:57 EST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Karol Blazewicz <karol.blazewicz at gmail.com>
To: General Discussion about Arch Linux <arch-general at archlinux.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 16:02:55 +0100
Subject: Re: [arch-general] Deleting packages

> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Guillermo Leira <gleira at gleira.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I've seen that I've lots of packages that I seem to no longer need.
> Would it
> > be safe to run
> >
> > Pacman -R $(pacman -Qtdq)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Guillermo Leira
>
> Short answer: yes, pacman will ask you if you really want to remove
> these packages so check the output before saying 'yes'.
> BTW, you sill get 'Pacman: command not found' if you run it with
> capital 'P'.
>
> Please search the forums and understand what 'pacman -Qtdq' does.
> You might want to read the pacman manpage on how to change the install
> reason.

I think that I understand more or less what it does... but I don't
understand why there are about eighty unneeded and "installed as
dependencies" packages. And I have already removed about thirty.

I have run pacman -Qtdq and studied the output. Some packages seems to be
part of gnome 2, but most of them I don't know where they came from.

I'm not a programmer, so I can't submit code, but it would be nice if
pacman would say "Installed as a dependency of: package-name", or
something similar. It's just a suggestion.

Hummm... I'm seeing some pacman -R options that can be very useful to keep
the system clean. Maybe I should have used it, and now I wouldn't have
these "orphan" packages in my disk.

And the capital "P" is not completely my fault. Outlook takes decisions on
its own. :-)

Thanks,

Guillermo Leira