[arch-general] 2 recommendations needed for installing ArchLinux

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Dec 6 18:29:44 EST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: arch-general-bounces at archlinux.org on behalf of Cédric Girard
Sent: Wed 12/7/2011 00:11
To: General Discussion about Arch Linux
Subject: Re: [arch-general] 2 recommendations needed for installing ArchLinux

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> As root I wanted to run

This is not safe to do anyway. If I understand you well you were trying to
remove an empty folder that was a mount point before ? Then use "rmdir"
instead of "rm -r". It will accept to remove the directory only if empty
which is the safe behavior you want in that case.

+++

Thank you Cédric :)

I didn't know rmdir. I need to correct myself it was
rm -r /media/path/to/a/folder
to delete the contend of a folder.

In media there were two partitions mounted. One partition with backups and audio productions and another where I restored Debian from a backup that was some days old. After I restored Debian I wanted to delete /home and /user/src and then replace it from a younger backup.

I should have remounted the backup partition read only. But my steps where, backup a broken Debian, restore Debian by an older backup and then get some data from the new backup. There might be sync commands that also avoid such mistakes, but I'm using tar, cp, rm, since sync commands need to much effort to learn the usage.

;)

Ralf