[arch-general] getaddrinfo

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Wed Dec 7 19:08:35 EST 2011

I've been working on this for several days and can't seem to figure out
what's wrong. When I try to compile perl-5.14.2 or install any perl module
that runs a test requiring getaddrinfo, the test fails. I've searched high
and low between the bug list, the wiki, google, man pages etc and have
found zero answers. I've found example c code that fails also. All the
return values are negative and should be 0 or greater than zero. One of the
errors related to perl is

#   Failed test '$err == 0 for host=
cpan.perl.org/service=ftp/socktype=STREAM'
#   at t/getaddrinfo.t line 79.
#          got: -8
#     expected: 0

I have a static ip address set up in rc.conf and my internet connections
work, ftp clients work, ip addrlabel produces

prefix ::1/128 label 0
prefix ::ffff:0.0.0.0/96 label 4
prefix ::/96 label 3
prefix 2001::/32 label 7
prefix 2002::/16 label 2
prefix fec0::/10 label 5
prefix fc00::/7 label 6
prefix ::/0 label 1

and rpcbind, ypbind, ypserv, and vsftpd are running.

Building python3 also fails with the same error.

It's probably something misconfigured on my box with all the changes in
network tools, but quite frankly I'm lost. This problem is recent. I built
the previous versions of perl and python3. Python2 builds and I diffed the
test files that contain the gettaddrinfo tests and they are
different. Pointers to getaddrinfo code that works, suggestions on my
network configuration, rtfm might work if you've got a man page I've
missed, and/or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Myra