[arch-general] netcfg pppoe 'error sending pppoe packet: Network is down'

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Dec 8 05:27:52 EST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: arch-general-bounces at archlinux.org on behalf of Karol Babioch
Sent: Thu 12/8/2011 10:53

Hi,

Am 08.12.2011 09:19, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> if I run (as root, there anyway still is no user) 'netcfg pppoe' I get 'error sending/receiving pppoe packet: Network is down'

Just to make sure that netcfg is really what you want. Do you plan to
install a (rich) desktop environment later on? At least I would
recommended using networkmanager instead of netcfg when using Gnome
and/or KDE, because there are applets for it, which makes the network
configuration quite easy. You can probably use these applets for other
windows managers as well.

Personally I'm even using networkmanager on boxes which don't have a
running X server, because of its dispatching possibilities (such as
starting SSH when there is a link established).

However for a completely static environment netcfg is probably just fine.

+++

Hi Karol :)

I'll install Xfce and Gnome (hopefully GNOME2 instead of 3, since I switched for earlier installs of other distros from KDE3 to GNOME2, when KDE4 became the successor and Xfce simply should replace GNOME3, while I'll still give GNOME3 a chance). Of cause, I could download the needed stuff using Part Magic, reboot into Arch and then install the packages, but I would like to install the DEs when I'm booted into Arch.

Hm? If netcfg should be ok, than perhaps something regarding to PPPoE might be bad?!

Currently the 'Ethernet Link/Act' LED of my Siemens ADSL device isn't lit. It was lit when I tested the example's "ethernet-dhcp", but than I got 'DHCP IP lease attempt. [failed]' while the LED is lit.

My settings for 'pppoe-setup' must be ok, since I'm using the same for the Parted Magic live CD.

*me_confused* :D

I don't know what I'm doing, I only have guesses of an idiot, the noob I'm.

Any hints are welcome.

Cheers!

Ralf