[arch-general] netcfg pppoe 'error sending pppoe packet: Network is down'

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Dec 8 07:14:47 EST 2011

Am 08.12.2011 09:19, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> Hi :)
>
> if I run (as root, there anyway still is no user) 'netcfg pppoe' I get 'error sending/receiving pppoe packet: Network is down'.
> I never set up a wired pppoe connection manually before.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Ralf
>
> PS: I've seen that there are 2 entries to edit and one might or might not be a typo. Perhaps I'm missing much more ;).
> root at PartedMagic:/media/sda9# cat etc/network.d/pppoe
> CONNECTION='ppp'
> INTERFACE=eth0
> PEER='provider'
> PPP_TIMEOUT=10

The problem here is that the 'eth0' interface is not up when pppd is
launched. This would be easily solved by running
 ip link set eth0 up
before launching pppd, but netcfg doesn't know that. I always planned to
write a 'pppoe' target for netcfg, but never did.

I can't think of a good workaround right now, maybe someone else has an
idea.

> root at PartedMagic:/media/sda9# cat etc/ppp/peers/alice
> # /etc/ppp/peers/your_provider
>
> plugin rp-pppoe.so
> # rp_pppoe_ac 'your ac name'
> # rp_pppoe_service 'your service name'
>
> # network interface
> eth0
> # login name
> name "[snip]"
> usepeerdns
> persist
> # Uncomment this if you want to enable dial on demand
> #demand
> #idle 180
> defaultroute
> hide-password
> noauth

Seems fine.

> root at PartedMagic:/media/sda9# cat etc/ppp/pppoe.conf

You don't need pppoe.conf - you don't even need the rp-pppoe package.
You only need the ppp package and the peers/pap-secrets files as shown
above.

There is some more information in the HOWTO [1] I wrote years ago, but
much of it is outdated.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PPPoE_Setup_with_pppd