[arch-general] Linking issue, glibc weirdness?

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Fri Dec 9 16:51:04 EST 2011

Excerpts from Ionut Biru's message of 2011-12-09 22:29:48 +0100:
> On 12/09/2011 09:25 PM, Philipp wrote:
> > Hi there,
> > I have linking issues with one of the programs I maintain in AUR and I
> > don't quite understand the issue. Here's the output:
> >
> > g++ -Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,--hash-style=gnu
> > -L/usr/X11R6/lib -o jmeters jmeters.o styles.o mainwin.o jclient.o
> > mkimage.o meterwin.o -lsndfile -lclxclient -lclthreads -ljack -lpng
> > -lXft -lX11 -lrt
> > /usr/bin/ld: jmeters.o: undefined reference to symbol
> > 'pthread_mutex_trylock@@GLIBC_2.2.5'
> > /usr/bin/ld: note: 'pthread_mutex_trylock@@GLIBC_2.2.5' is defined in
> > DSO /lib/libpthread.so.0 so try adding it to the linker command line
> > /lib/libpthread.so.0: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make: *** [jmeters] Error 1
> >
> > The program is jmeters
> > (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25711).
> >
> > It depends on clthreads (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=3627)
> > which handles the threading stuff.
> >
> > I wonder where this problem comes from. Needles to say that it worked
> > fine in the past. Any ideas?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Philipp
> >

> sounds like you don't have a fully up to date toolchain

Ok, I hoped that it was just something like this. pacman -Syu gets me no
new packages, so I'll wait at least until tomorrow and hope it will work
then. It's somewhat weird when stuff doesn't hit the repos in sync (Same
with gcc yesterday, got a circular dependency error for a while,
resolved itself).

Downloading the jmeters tarball, extracting it and just typing 'make'
leads to the same result, so it's definitely unrelated to makepkg.

However, I already have mysql 5.5.19-1 installed, which is the second
most recent updates and just 5 hours old, so how can my toolchain be out
of date?

Regards,
Philipp