[arch-general] partition sizes and filesystems (Re: Install Arch instages?)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Dec 10 00:07:28 EST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: arch-general-bounces at archlinux.org on behalf of clemens fischer
Sent: Fri 12/9/2011 23:26

Leonid Isaev wrote:

> I think it's a better idea to have either /var/lib or entire /var on
> reiserfs.
>
> /        ext4     30Gb
> /var     ext4     10Gb
> /boot    ext4     100Mb
> /var/lib reiserfs 500Mb
> /home    ext4     85Gb
> /tmp     ext2     2Gb

Interesting!  Why do you think that?  Me, I used my ears to determine
the best filesystem for my workloads on the PC.  Ext4 is the one with
least head movement:  the disks stay silent for long periods of time,
then they have hectic fits and go quiet again.

Compare this with freebsd's UFS2+soft-updates, XFS and JFS.  I didn't
dare to use ZFS on freebsd and I think I never tried reiserfs, fearing
it isn't on active development currently.

Oh, one other thing:  my swap and home partitions are LUKS encrypted.
The swap uses etc/crypttab with a random key, the key for home is on an
USB dongle, so I can physically lock out people taking possession of the
PC by keeping that dongle safely stashed away some place.

+++

Since I lost data, I got the impression that tools such as extundelete don't work proper to recover deleted data from ext4. I switched back to ext3, while I'm unsure that the tools would work better, the Internet information, perhaps outdated, claims that recovering data from ext3 would be more safe using several tools.