[arch-general] a plea for python 2

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Wed Dec 14 22:28:23 EST 2011

On 15 December 2011 07:44, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Sander Jansen <s.jansen at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is how I feel about the current situation also.
>>>
>>> The pep clearly defines that you should only be using python2 or
>>> python3 in your shebangs, and that python should be ideally used only
>>> to invoke interactive sessions.
>>>
>>> The fact that programmers and distro python packagers ignore this is
>>> not our fault.
>>
>> "Until the conventions described in this PEP are more widely adopted,
>> having python invoke python2 will remain the recommended option."
>
> The full quote is:
>
> "More conservative distributions that are less willing to tolerate
> breakage of third party scripts continue to alias it to python2. Until
> the conventions described in this PEP are more widely adopted, having
> python invoke python2 will remain the recommended option."
>
> Also, when do you suppose "widely adopted" will occur? If you leave
> space for interpretation, then expect opinions that don't match yours.
> This is a recommendation and someone is going to have to take the
> first step eventually.
> Here is a metaphor in the spirit of the season:
> Arch is the snowplow that is shoveling the snow to the sides of the
> road to make it easier for other distros to pass.
>
> I see this thread turning into the threads when it was first
> announced, and I refuse to go down that path, again...
>
> Here is the python maintainer's blog post about it:
> http://allanmcrae.com/2011/03/the-python2-pep/
>
> Cheers!

To sum up the two Thomas' replies above (which have been mentioned a
number of times before):

1) Arch faces the pain before anyone else.
2) Arch fixes stuff for real, _not_ "enhances". (which is what you
mean by Ubuntu-like patching)

Using /usr/bin/python is no longer recommended as upstream has
realised the mess they themselves have made. All software developers
who consider themselves up-to-date with technology should adopt these
latest changes, or choose to be backdated.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1