[arch-general] a plea for python 2

Thanasis Georgiou sakisds.s at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 10:56:08 EST 2011

Or use #!/usr/bin/env python2. This should fix problems like python2
being in a different path among distribution.
On 15 December 2011 17:51, Alex Bolgarov <alex at bolgarov.org> wrote:>>
you all think the proper fix is for>> me to put in the docs something
like "on Arch systems you need to do>> [x] before building", whether
[x] is "get the PKGBUILD with the patch>> from AUR" or even "run the
sed-python-with-python2.sh included in the>> distribution".>> I
personally don't think it is a proper fix - I think it is not a fix>
at all. My opinion is that Python3 is sufficiently different from>
Python2 to be considered a new language, not just a new version of
old> (thus it would be appropriate to use new name, 'python3', for
it,> leaving 'python' forever referring to python2). (That is, desire
to be> on the bleeding edge does not warrant breaking existing
software)>> If I were you, I would probably stop putting shebangs into
my Python> scripts (so that they would be not executables), and write
a shell> wrapper script for every python script that figures out
during runtime> how python2 executable is called, and call python2
script using this> python executables (or write single script with
symbolic links to it> with different names and use $0 shell variable
to find which python> script to call).