[arch-general] Top Posting Revisited

gt codered12 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 21:17:03 EST 2011

Hello folks, i'll probably get flamed for reviving a very controversial,
yet consistently brought up topic.

I have seen a similar thread last year, and every other day, someone
points out to someone that top posting is bad.

I was off the list for a while, and now when i came back, the story is
still the same.

I know top posting is bad, and i too sometimes preach people to avoid
it. But from what i've seen, most of the times, people don't bother, or
simply don't know what's wrong.

Instead of having top-posting related mails in every thread, there
should be a better way out.

I suggest all of the top-posting haters should including one of these
links or similar in their signatures.

http://idallen.com/topposting.html

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Also, we can have a forum and mailing list etiquette drive for a few
days, with mention in the arch linux news, the mailing list, and setting
it as the topic in the irc channel also.

I know this is probably overkill, but it'll probably inform a lot more
people about these issues than some stray posts in every other thread.

PS: Since arch is always ahead of the other distros in adopting new
stuff and bringing about change, let's be the first ones to spread some
netiquette.