[arch-general] Top Posting Revisited

Alex Liu rnkn22 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 22:44:50 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Kazuo Teramoto <kaz.rag at gmail.com> wrote:
> Part of the whole 'bottom posting' thing is about *reading* and
> *thinking* about the reply and not *automatic* replying to a message.

This.

I think it's not about if the reply is above or below whatever you
quote but because a full quote just makes no sense in, let's say, 90%
of the cases. It just stretches the message and has no actual benefit
over just quoting the part you want to refer to.
It's annoying in message boards as well, by the way. Unfortunately
it's much more common there. People tend to full quote everything --
maybe because they are just to lazy to strip the parts that have no
value to the answer.

However, there exists a bottom posting script for Greasemonkey if you
want to check that out.
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/35866
An according lab feature has been suggested some time ago in the Gmail
group, but as of no there has been no reply by one of the Gmail team
members.