[arch-general] Top Posting Revisited

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Thu Dec 15 23:22:00 EST 2011

When in a private correspondence, regardless of the number of
participants, the context is probably known and thus there is no need
to read previous replies. I would reply like this, because I only care
about what you and I are talking about at this point of time - there
is no need for any reference. If I do feel like quoting something, I
may look below. Since the importance of the previous replies are not
high in this scenario, they are at the bottom, out of view.

On 16 December 2011 12:03, Jeffrey Lynn Parke Jr.
<jeffrey.parke at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't really think that people put any conscious thought into if they
> should top or bottom post.

But I may be concerned about one particular message or sentence or
paragraph or word, and in that case I may choose to highlight the
relevant extract like this. In a high-traffic medium such as a mailing
list, there is no prior knowledge of context or content. As such,
replying like this makes the most sense and follows the flow of
conversation.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1