[arch-general] Top Posting Revisited

Rogutės Sparnuotos rogutes at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 16 04:33:57 EST 2011

Ralf Mardorf (2011-12-16 04:47):
> -----Original Message-----
> From: arch-general-bounces at archlinux.org on behalf of Calvin Morrison
> Sent: Fri 12/16/2011 04:21
> To: General Discussion about Arch Linux
> Subject: Re: [arch-general] Top Posting Revisited

Your "M$ thingy" is kind of verbose ^^^.

> Yeah lets all just spam fuck gmail devs because they won't add a automatic
> bottom posting feature.
>
> Seriously...
>
> +++
>
> Since I'm uncertain how to handle incoming emails in the future I still use my providers M$ thingy. I prefer bottom posting and plain text, but not only my provider's M$ thingy doesn't mark the original message with signs for the quote and there's no option to use plain text. Today it's very common to write HTML and to answer above the original message.
>
> This odd behaviour might have one advantage. People doing top posting perhaps read the complete mail, before they reply, while answering under the quotes very often means reading a sentence, then  to answer, reading the next sentence and to answer this etc., hence the context could get lost, this could lead to misconceptions and those could lead to flame wars.
>
> I'm from the Ruhrgebiet, here we don't care much about netiquette. Do we really need rules and rules and rules?
>
> +1 for bottom posting but I'm completely against instructing people not to post as it's common on business correspondence.
>
> We are the freaks. Today nearly everybody is using HTML and top posting at least in Germany is what averaged people do.

I have tried reading some of your messages in the last days, but it was
too difficult to understand who you are talking with, what you are
replying to and what do multiple lines of "+++" mean. Thought I'd simply
ignore them, but since this is kind of on topic...

--
--  Rogutės Sparnuotos