[arch-general] Top Posting Revisited

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Dec 16 10:14:06 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 03:17, gt <codered12 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello folks, i'll probably get flamed for reviving a very controversial,
> yet consistently brought up topic.
>
> I have seen a similar thread last year, and every other day, someone
> points out to someone that top posting is bad.
>
> I was off the list for a while, and now when i came back, the story is
> still the same.

It is rather funny how this discussion just won't go away, ever.  I
suppose it does provide a bit of consistency on the net, so it's
always good for something ;)

Anyway, I think that just sending out the top-posting-is-bad links is
only part of the education, also send out the link to Eric Raymond's
[How To Ask Questions The Smart Way][1].  This in the hope that
posters to the list will think a little about the possibly most
important pair of sentences in that document:

    Hackers blow off questions that are inappropriately targeted in
order to try to protect their communications channels from being
drowned in irrelevance. You don't want this to happen to you.

/M

[1]: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org