[arch-general] clipped video output with multihead

Ralf Madorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Dec 18 06:40:06 EST 2011

On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 01:10 -0300, Sébastien le Preste de Vauban wrote:
> When I play a video with mplayer2 (also happens with tvtime)
>
> MPlayer2 2.0-379-ge3f5043 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
> 162 audio & 361 video codecs
>
> I get the following display problem on screen 2

Linux isn't the best choice for video. Thanks to Robin we've got Ardour3
video timeline http://rg42.org/wiki/a3vtl (so I won back hope I already
had lost) but this is a little bit OT, regarding to your request.

Did you try several video players with different backends? I usually
install all video players that are available.

Linux is bad regarding to audio and video containers and even if Linux
is used for some tasks by professional film studios, it's impossible to
use it for professional serious basics such as NLE or even for consumer
usages like playing common Internet videos or transforming container
formats.

Try another Linux video player, perhaps with another backend, what ever
your problem playing videos might be.

2 Cents,

Ralf

PS: I experienced tries solving video issues as much too time consuming,
that seldom had success. Trying several media players/backends always
was the better way for me to go. YMMV.