[arch-general] libgsf update

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Sun Dec 18 12:04:01 EST 2011

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 09:01, Ionut Biru <ibiru at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 12/18/2011 10:31 AM, Myra Nelson wrote:
> > What is the proper procedure for updating libgsf. Per the commit message
> > libgnome-gsf was dropped because upstream dropped it. When trying to
> update
> > the following error occurs.
> >
> > error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies) ::
> > libgsf-gnome: requires libgsf=1.14.21.
> >

> libgsf-gnome was dropped by upstream in 1.14.22 and by us now since
> nothing in our repos depend on it.
>
> pacman -Rs libgsf-gnome
>
> > I realize I can complete the update by pacman -Suf or pacman -Rdd
> > libgsf-gnome then install the libgsf update but would think this would be
> > handled by an install file included with the package. I would prefer not
> > bork my box so I thought I would ask first for a change.
> >

> now, why do you think that -f will solve every problem? -f is not for
> forcing updates when dependencies are not met!
>
> Stop using -f.
> > Thanks for your assistance.
> >
> > Myra
>

> --
> Ionuț
>
> Thats's why I didn't use -f and have quit using -f, why I don't think it
will solve every problem, why I ask for the proper procedure before I
borked my box, and why I asked about it being taken care of by an install
file. Lately I've seen several "user intervention needed" news postings and
assumed this might be one of those cases. I intentionally pointed out the
wrong way to do this, sorry if I offended you.

Myra