[arch-general] libgsf update

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Sun Dec 18 17:50:36 EST 2011

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 22:17, Karol Blazewicz <karol.blazewicz at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson at hughes.net>
> wrote:
> > Karol:
> >
> > Thanks for the link. Not quite what I was referring to.
>
> Argh, you're right, sorry.
> Let's try again ;P https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=124840
>
> IMHO, writing "This option should be used with care, ideally not at
> all" as pacman's man page says currently is enough.

Karol;
All I did as a test was to add the word Warning: to the line and format it
as bold to make the warning stand out better. That way if someone is doing
a quick scan of the manpage for an answer it won't be missed -- maybe.

 -f, --force
           Bypass file conflict checks and overwrite conflicting files. If
the package that is about to be installed contains files that are already
installed, this option will cause all those files to be overwritten. *Warning:
 This*
*           option should be used with care, ideally not at all.*

As to the pacman wiki page there seems to be some confusion? on the page.
 Under Installing Packages:

*Warning: *Do not refresh the package list when installing packages
(i.e. pacman
-Sy package_name); this can lead to dependency
issues.[1]<https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=89328>
 Upgrade <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#Upgrading_packages>
explicitly
first; before installing new packages.

Later under Upgrading Packages the wiki page the use of ( pacman -Syu
package_name ) is listed.

To Arch users who've been around awhile the distinction might be apparent,
but to newer users it might not. Would it be better to make both sections
read ( pacman -Sy then pacman -S package_name or pacman -Su )? Just a
thought. When I do my upgrades I use pacman -Sy then pacman -Su. It seems
more sane to me and doesn't take that much more effort. It also makes one
think about what they're doing instead of pacman -Syu then anwser yes and
fubar one's box.

I know Arch users are supposed to be savvy linux users, but the above wiki
change would IMHO clarify the process. The Arch wiki is the best on the
net. I've seen other sights reference some of the articles for setting up
their software. Keep up the good work.

Myra