[arch-general] libgsf update

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Sun Dec 18 20:25:12 EST 2011

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 22:55, Karol Blazewicz <karol.blazewicz at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 11:50 PM, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson at hughes.net>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 22:17, Karol Blazewicz <
> karol.blazewicz at gmail.com>wrote:
> > Would it be better to make both sections
> > read ( pacman -Sy then pacman -S package_name or pacman -Su )?
>
> 'pacman -Sy foo' or alternatively 'pacman -Sy' followed by 'pacman -S
> foo' is a bad idea: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=89328

As usual I don't speak the same language as most people. My update
procedure is:

$ pacman -Sy
< syncing databases>

$ pacman -Su

When I install a package its:

pacman -Ss pkgname
Then allow pacman to take care of deps.

In my example above I should have separated the two and I wrote it wrong
because of that.

Installing should not be combined with syncing the database. However, I
don't like pacman -Syu either.  The wiki and the man page differ for
syncing and installing which could also be confusing.
>From the examples section from the current man pages for pacman(8).

Examples
 pacman -Syu gpm
           Update package list, upgrade all packages, and then install gpm
if it wasn?t already installed.
 Pacman 4.0.1     2011-11-20      PACMAN(8)

Which is, as you pointed out, is wrong and so does the wiki.

 I'm trying to cover to many topics at once, so I'll stick to the man page
for now.

Sorry for the noise.

Myra