[arch-general] Question regarding the default file manager in XFCE

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Dec 19 17:54:20 EST 2011

On 12/19/2011 10:42 AM, Vladimir Nikšić wrote:
> I'm using xfce wm. I rarely even use a file manager, I do things through
> the console almost all the time, but sometimes I need a file manager,
> makes some things easier.
>
> Thunar as a file manager is OK, but nautilus is a lot more powerful, has
> decent tab implementation etc, etc, doesn't really matter. I went to
> settings -> preferred application and selected Nautilus under File
> Manager. This works only to the extent that when I click on Application
> Menu and then file manager, Nautilus starts up.
>
> I would like it so that Nautilus starts when I click on a directory or
> some sort of volume (loop mount, usb stick, whatever, nfs share) on the
> desktop. Instead, thunar always starts, which kinda defeats the whole
> purpose of the preferred application setup?
>
> Am I asking something that's technically difficult or maybe there's a
> good reason why this can't be done?
>
> Thanks!

I took an alternate approach.  On Windows, the Windows+E key combination
on the keyboard brings up the Windows Explorer file manager, and is a
key combo that I got used to when working on Windows.  So under XFCE, I
just set up a similar key combo to launch my preferred file manager (KDE
Konqueror).

Not sure this is an ideal solution to your problem, but perhaps it might
be a workaround.

HTH,

DR