[arch-general] Unable to upgrade community/rekonq (PGP signature issue)

Keshav P R the.ridikulus.rat at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 13:56:52 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 21:27, Peter Lewis <plewis at aur.archlinux.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 Dec 2011 01:36:35 Gaetan Bisson wrote:
> > [2011-12-20 19:38:19 +0530] Keshav P R:
> > > error: rekonq: key "22AD5874F39D989F" is unknown
> > > error: key "22AD5874F39D989F" could not be looked up remotely
>
> I opened a bug about this a couple of days ago: FS#27612.
>
> > This seems to be Peter Lewis signing with (one of his many) subkeys...
>
> You're right, it seems to be to do with the use of a subkey.
>
> > (Not sure why he does that.)
>
> Heh heh. This basically explains the reason quite well:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/subkeys
>
> I have my master key stored offline, and I hope it will last forever
> without
> being compromised and I won't have to go around getting my key signed
> again.
> Also, the subkeys are only stored on a smart-card and, so I'm told, can't
> be
> taken off it. (I know, call me paranoid...)
>

> > Do `gpg --recv-key E19DAA50` (primary ID) to get his key.
>
> Did this:
>
> % pacman-key -r 22AD5874F39D989F
>
> not work for you? I was discussing this problem with Seblu earlier and we
> could both just do this, only it wouldn't be imported automatically by
> pacman.
>
> Pete.

I guess this has something to do with using keys.gnupg.net instead of
pgp.mit.edu. I had issues with keys.gnupg.net (versy slow dueing initial
keyring creation) and came across pgp.mit.edu as an alternative and faster
keyserver. I changed the keyserver and tried "pacman -S rekonq" again
thinking that would solve the problem but it didn't. I didn't know about
subkeys etc. and thats why I started this thread. But manually importing
the key using pacman-key after changing the keyserver didn't cross my mind
since I thought pacman should obviously do that by itself. Anyway all's
well now. Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Keshav