[arch-general] Is there a clean solution to get completely rid of Pulseaudio?

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Fri Dec 23 05:13:05 EST 2011

Am Fri, 23 Dec 2011 10:53:56 +0100
schrieb Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>:

> I know this command, but this won't solve the issue, that PA on Arch
> Linux is a dependency for software that don't need PA.
> I want a clean solution.

Run pacman -Qi pulseaudio to see what package(s) forces you to install
PA. As far as I know it's actually common policy in Arch Linux that PA
is only optional and nobody is at least forced to use it.

If there are applications which depend on PA and can't work without PA
then you have, of course, the choice between installing and using PA
or uninstalling the reverse dependency. But in such a case you have to
blame upstream, but not Arch Linux.

And it probably can happen that the package maintainer made a mistake
by adding pulseaudio to depends instead of optdepends. In this case you
should file a bug report or write a comment to AUR.

Heiko