[arch-general] pacman -Syu fails due to conflict with mtab?

Alexander van den Berghe alexvdberghe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 05:29:21 EST 2011

On 12/23/2011 10:43 AM, Ralf Madorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 10:22 +0100, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
>> The 22/12/11, Angel Velásquez wrote:
>>
>>> The experts, normal people, and even noobs like me would say to you ..
>>> PLEASE READ THE NEWS DUDE, (its like the 5th time you write a mail
>>> asking questions, when the solution it's posted on the front page)..
>>>
>>> Don't you think you're big enough to learn this amazing trick?
>> OTOH, news related to updates are *not* at the correct place on the home
>> web page. When I do admin tasks I would expect to read news in my
>> _shell_ just before the update.
> +1
>
> Some news might be no news anymore, it's not for everybody useful to
> upgrade the Linux very often.
For such people it is not advised to use a rolling release distribution
such as Arch. Using Arch without updating often enough is asking for
problems.
> I got all upgrade information using Google e.g. linked to the news.
> Anyway I wonder why people aren't allowed to ask every question. There
> were not hundred people asking about mtab at this list, just one person
> and this person might have missed the information by the news.
>
> I read tons of threads on Arch forums and I had to read hundreds of
> times replies saying "use Google", "search the Wiki", "search the forum"
> + tons of misinformation from experts aka moderators, since they
> sometimes not really experts for everything.
>
> - Ralf

It is frustrating for people to see the same questions asked over and
over. Especially while the solution can be easily found on the home
page, wiki or forums. These kind of questions just pollute the medium
through which they where asked with noise, which makes it more difficult
to find the good information.

Alex