[arch-general] Is there a clean solution to get completely rid of Pulseaudio?

Kwpolska kwpolska at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 06:06:37 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Ralf Madorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Wow :D
>
> I first just asked for a solution similar to Debian dummy packages and
> get tons [1] of insults.
>
> Then I explained why I (and I know a lot of other people) will install
> e.g. GNOME. I'll do it again. We might wish to use this DE or simply GDM
> as login manager. I don't blame Arch Linux packages, I just blame
> answers like "don't use gnome".
>
> No netiquette?
>
> I was silent since days, stopped putting in my 2 cents all the time and
> now I asked for help and get those answers?! That's strange and creepy.
>
> Anyway, if somebody should know a solution how to use GNOME without PA,
> any hints are welcome.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Ralf
>
> [1] OT, but too funny, since I got all mails two times, even more than
> 1k of old mails Evolution already had downloaded from the server.

Dear idiot,

I'm kinda wondering why you aren't filtered from my mailbox yet.  You
top-posted, "put in" useless "2 cents", and whatnot.  Now you are
asking a stupid question.  Using GNOME or GDM without PA is
I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E.  Period.  If you are wondering, why one needs
sound in GDM, I can help you (not tested, but I'm sure it actually
happens): what if you mistype your password?  Or maybe you can't see
the login prompt and your computer should say "Choose your username
and type your password"?  There are many uses for that.  But even if
you don't need that, GDM and all other GNOME apps are SUPPOSED to be
used as a part of GNOME, not
I-want-to-use-kde-and-gdm-and-nautilus-and-whatnot.  Expect such
issues.

My suggestion is: (a) stop whining; or (b) learn how to code and cut
out all sound stuff out of gnome-settings-daemon.  No matter what you
choose, there is one more option, which is much better: GET OUTTA HERE
and use Debian if you like it so much.  Not right?  Then buy a Mac.
Or Windows if you want to.  PERIOD.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, you will be filtered out after I see
your response to this message.

Sincerely,
Chris "Kwpolska" Warrick.

P.S.
On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Ralf Madorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 12:16 +0200, Ionut Biru wrote:
>> if you don't like gdm, remove it and replace it with lxdm,lightdm or
>> other crap out there.
>
> I like GDM. I don't like login managers where I can't browse the users.
>
> - Ralf

Oh.  So you want to tell me that [this][0] is a DM without a user browser,
and [that][1] (sorry for an Ubuntu screenshot), and [that][2] for sure doesn't
have a user list!
[0]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KDM.jpg
[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lightdm-screenshot.jpg
[2]: http://wiki.lxde.org/en/File:LXDM.png

I'm looking forward to your answer, especially on the first part of
this message.

C.
--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
stop html mail      | always bottom-post