[arch-general] Is there a clean solution to get completely rid of Pulseaudio?

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Fri Dec 23 13:17:11 EST 2011

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 19:03:16 +0100
Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 09:44 -0600, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> > Can you suggest something better? I don't think so.
>
> Yes, jackd would be much better. Pulseaudio is an unlucky choice. If
> there's no PA installed and people don't wish to handle jackd, ALSA
> already is able to do all what's needed. What was bad with e.g. arts?

Comparing jack and PA is something like comparing gnome and xfce. You can read
about the differences at jackd homepage.

PA, jack, aRTS, esd, gstreamer -- developers select whatever they are
comfortable with; any choice will leave someone unpleased...

> For some people PA is an advantage, for other people it's an
> disadvantage. What's bad with enabling those who prefer PA to install it
> and for those who can't use PA to enable not to install PA?
>
> Why is there this go/no-go type?

Exactly, that's why the common approach to packaging is to enable as much
functionality as possible. Don't like it -- use ABS. Otherwise we can argue
why xfce needs gstreamer, qemu-kvm needs bluez, and so on...

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D