[arch-general] Issue with monolithic gcc-libs package

Paul Fox techmage89 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 15:53:10 EST 2011

Hello,

I have been looking into GNUStep and Etoile development recently, and
I ran into an Arch packaging issue that I'm not sure how to address.

Essentially, Etoile requires the experimental GNUStep libobjc runtime
(libobjc2 or GNUStep runtime) that has additional features from
Objective 2.0. However, libobjc on Arch is part of the gcc-libs
package making it hard to replace without removing libobjc.so manually
and breaking the package.

It puzzles me that gcc-libs includes runtimes for all the major
languages supported by gcc. Might it not be better to have each
library be its own package (so, for example, libstdc++, libgomp,
libfortran, and so forth) and only have gcc-libs include libgcc_s?

This would allow more flexibility to selectively install or replace
runtime libs (for example, I might not need fortran, so why should I
have it installed?)