[arch-general] Using the new 'extramodules' directory in linux-* packages

Andrzej Giniewicz gginiu at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 08:28:29 EST 2011

This is something I wanted to ask too, cause I'm dealing with
wacom-drivers package - and there I have an updated version of
standard module. For now I use

/lib/modules/3.1.*-*-ARCH/updates

for this purpose and it works, but there is no

/lib/modules/updates-3.1/

so users need to rebuild after every minor version. I though, that
since in depmod.d there is file with

search updates extramodules built-in

I would be able to use extramodules-3.1 to override default kernel
module, but it turned out it is not enough:

[giniu at raven3 3.1.5-1-ARCH]$ pwd
/lib/modules/3.1.5-1-ARCH
[giniu at raven3 3.1.5-1-ARCH]$ find extramodules/
extramodules/
extramodules/wacom.ko
extramodules/nvidia.ko.gz
extramodules/version
extramodules/wacom_w8001.ko
[giniu at raven3 3.1.5-1-ARCH]$ modinfo wacom | head -n 1
filename:
/lib/modules/3.1.5-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko.gz

as you see, it still uses default one (I performed depmod -a). So, is
there any way to not only place new modules without requiring users to
rebuild every time, but also update modules that way? I don't know if
I missed something obvious, or something... anyone got it working?

Andrzej.