[arch-general] Need help understanding meta-PKGBUILDs

Thomas S Hatch thatch45 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 13:25:05 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Tavian Barnes <tavianator at tavianator.com>wrote:

> On 2 February 2011 01:10, David C. Rankin
> <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> > On 02/01/2011 10:41 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> >> (3)   Lastly, if anybody has interest, please look over the PKGBUILDs
> and let me
> >> know where I'm doing something stupid. I have done quite a bit of
> reading trying
> >> to digest PKGBUILDs and how to apply them to a large project like
> Trinity. I
> >> don't claim to be an expert on them, so I know there are places where
> they need
> >> improving. Thanks.
> >
> > Just a note. In addition to the tqtinterface and trinity-arts,
> trinity-kdelibs
> > PKGBUILD is now working and open for comment:
> >
> > http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/dt/trinity/arch/dev/kdelibs/PKGBUILD
> >
> > so far so good -- a little PKGBUILD knowledge... is a dangerous thing :P
> >
> > --
> > David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
> >

> I don't see why you need meta packages; groups should do fine.  I
> think the only reason that Arch's meta packages exist is to provide an
> upgrade path from the pre-splitpkg KDE days.
>
> --
> Tavian Barnes

Do groups register in AUR packages? My understanding is that they do not
because there is no repo metadata. Then I would say that metapackages for
large AUR builds like this one would be the way to go, but to keep the group
info in so that if in the future this all moves to community then we are
ready for it.

Unless of course there is group magic that I don't know about!