[arch-general] Syslinux Installer / Update Script - Testers Needed

Matthew Gyurgyik pyther at pyther.net
Sun Feb 6 16:45:37 EST 2011

On 01/15/2011 09:52 PM, Matthew Gyurgyik wrote:
> Hello Community,
>
> Over the last few weeks I have been working on Syslinux support for
> the installer. With the help Thomas and Dieter I am nearing the
> completion of this project. As part of this project, I have written a
> script that will help install and update Syslinux (similar to that of
> grub-install).
>
> Some key features of the script: syslinux-install_update.sh
> * Install Syslinux to the FS + Partition Boot Loader (extlinux
> --install /boot/syslinux)
> * Install Syslinux MBR
> * Detect and optionally set the boot flag on the boot partition
> * Update Syslinux – copy files and execute (extilnux --update
> /boot/syslinux)
> * Support for GPT disks
> * Support for RAID configurations
>
> The goal is to include this script in the official Syslinux package.
> Therefore we need your help to test it.
>
> syslinux-install_update.sh -i -a -m ..... install Syslinux, set the
> boot flag (if needed), and install the MBR
>
> We need tests for the following setups:
> / + /boot on the *same* partition
> / + /boot on the *same* partition - RAID
> /boot + root on *separate* partition
> /boot + root on *separate* partition - RAID
> All of the above using but using the GPT partition layout
>
> NOTE: This is an alpha/beta stage script. The script modifies the
> first 440 bytes of the disk (using dd) and the partition table (using
> either sfdisk or sgdisk). Although the script should be safe to run, I
> am not responsible for any data loss that may occur.
>
> Let us know the following:
> * Did the script work for you?
> * What was your partition setup? (see above)
> * What version did you use?
> * If the script did not work, please provide as much information as
> possible
>
> Get the script here: https://gist.github.com/772138
> Syslinux Sample Config File:
> http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/plain/syslinux/trunk/syslinux.cfg
>
> The Syslinux package in testing includes the above configuration file.
>
> Cheers,
> pyther
Hello again.

I have not received much feedback about this script.

Over the last few weeks I have been working on improving this script.
Huge thanks to falconindy! He has written code which uses hexdump to
determine if a disk is using the GPT partition table and code which
detects if a partition is marked as active. Prior to those code I was
greping and awking the output of fdisk!

Notable Changes
  * Use hexdump to determine if boot flag is set
  * Use hexdump to determine partition type (GPT)
  * Copy/Symlink pci.ids to /boot/syslinux
  * Lots of rewritten code

Much of the detection code has changed. So if you tested before, please
test again!

Syslinux-install_update: https://gist.github.com/772138
Sample Usage: syslinux-install_update -iam (install, set /boot part(s)
as active, install mbr)

The syslinux package in testing has a sample config. If you don't want
to use the package from testing you can get the config from here:
http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/plain/syslinux/trunk/syslinux.cfg

Tell us as much information as possible about your setup (see original
message) and whether or not the script worked.

Thanks,
pyther

P.S. Thanks to e36freak who has greatly helped improve my bash syntax
and the syntax in this script!