[arch-general] trinity pkgbuild: rewrite to dl svn - Use fixed svn rev or latest?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Feb 8 15:57:47 EST 2011

Guys,

   I'm rewriting a set trinity pkgbuilds to download the trinity/<module> code
in the pkgbuild instead of using the existing source in the local copy of the
complete trinity svn tree. This will also allow the packages to be built in an
archroot and get around the empty src problem I was having with makechrootpkg
using the code in the existing tree.

   My PKGBUILD question is can I use the latest svn revision to build from, or
do I need to use a fixed svn revision for $pkgver?

   The examples I've looked at do something like:

pkgver=123456
<snip>
build() {
    cd $srcdir

msg "Connecting to $_svntrunk SVN server...."
   if [ -d $_svnmod/.svn ]; then
     (cd $_svnmod && svn up -r $pkgver)
   else
     svn co $_svntrunk --config-dir ./ -r $pkgver $_svnmod
   fi
<snip>

   I want to vary this to use the latest revision instead of a fixed revision:

pkgver=123456
<snip>
build() {

   cd ${srcdir}

   msg "Connecting to SVN server...."
   if [ -d ${_svn_module}/.svn ]; then
     (cd ${_svn_module} && svn up)
     [[ $? -eq 0 ]] || _co_failed=1
   else
     (svn co $_svn_trunk ${_svn_module})
     [[ $? -eq 0 ]] || _co_failed=1
   fi

   cd ${_svn_module}
   pkgver=$(getsvnrev)
<snip>

   Is this OK, or should I avoid using the latest version to prevent potential
inconsistencies?  Also, if you see anything else that will bite me, let me
know. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.