[arch-general] Packages with update-desktop-database issues

Matthias Dienstbier matthias_dienstbier at yahoo.de
Mon Feb 14 08:47:29 EST 2011

Hi,

I recently found that wine doesn't run update-desktop-database
(FS#22882) but that's not the only package with this issue.

I tested all my installed packages with this command:
for i in $(grep -Rl 'MimeType=.*/.*' /usr/share/applications/*); do pkg=
$(LANG=C pacman -Qo "$i"); grep -L
update-desktop-database /var/lib/pacman/local/$(echo $pkg | cut -d\
-f5)-$(echo $pkg | cut -d\  -f6)/install; done

The result was that at least these packages don't run
update-desktop-database although they install Mime associations:
extra/chromium
extra/evolution
extra/mplayer
extra/openjdk6
extra/qt
extra/sound-juicer
community/mplayer-vaapi
community/shotwell
community/virtualbox
community/wine

There are probably many more broken packages which I don't have
installed. I tried to get these via pkgfile but didn't succeed.

I really wonder why namcap doesn't do any checks on this.

--
Matthias Dienstbier