[arch-general] Kernel Panic on x64 when writting to 1TB External USB disk

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Tue Feb 22 09:41:10 EST 2011

Excerpts from Victor Silva's message of 2011-02-22 14:52:34 +0100:
> Hi folks i'm not 100% sure I'm posting on the right list so if im wrong
> please disregard and direct me to the appropriate list. :)
> Well I'm having a problem with USB devices causing kernel panic.
> I got an external 1 TB USB hard disk in NTFS format. When I tried to save
> some files (downloads from deluge) on it I get a kernel panic. Which
> files/logs can I provide to help you? The system simply hangs and all
> keyboard leads start to blink.  I'm using Linux  2.6.37-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT
> Fri Feb 18 18:32:16 CET 2011 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
> 5600+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux. It is the default arch linux kernel. If I
> write a small file and move to the folder things seem to be okay. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for the great distro folks hope you can help me on this one.

Hi,
I don't know the answer but I too have problems recently (weeks?
months?). I have two HDs connected via a USB hub which I only power up
and connect when I need them. One of those is also NTFS formatted. I'm
also on x86_64. Sometimes when I connect or power on those drives I get
a kernel oops, the first ones I had in a long time.

I did somehow suspect usb drivers but it might also be ntfs-3g. However,
if it works, it works. I copied a couple of GB around yesterday without
issues, once I managed to power up, connect and had the drive show up
without kernel panic.

Sadly I have no idea how to track the error down. I would like try to
re-format the disk but I need to get another one first.