[arch-general] [trinity-devel] x86_64 kdesktop.kcrash [SOLVED - it is glibc]

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 22 19:41:53 EST 2011

On 23/02/11 10:13, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 02/22/2011 05:07 PM, Allan McRae wrote:
>>>>
> <snip>
>>>
>>> No, seriously... glibc 2.13-4 introduced a patch from the Fedora glibc
>>> branch that is not included in mainline glibc and fixes issues with
>>> prelink [1]. Obviously, this has some side effects. Seems like it
>>> requires some more investigation.
>>>
>>> [1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22656
>>>

>> That patch has been in mainline glibc for a couple of days now and is running on
>> Fedora, Gentoo, ...
>>
>> Allan
>>

> Any ideas on the x86_64 kdesktop crash that happens with glibc 2.13-4 but is
> absent with 2.13-3? Any reason to try recompiling glibc without
> glibc-2.13-prelink.patch - or - will that just give me 2.13-3?

That prelink patch is very, very unlikely to cause the issue.  It was
also the only change between 2.13-3 and 2.13-4...  As I pointed out,
there are other distros using that patch without reported issue and it
is now in glibc mainline so nothing is obviously wrong with it.  Also, I
have had no other crash reports since this update...

I just looked back through this thread and your backtraces are all over
the place.  First it was an issue with libxcb, and then on a different
VM it is somewhere completely different.    What is difference across
your VMs that you get consistent crashes in one but not the other?

Allan