[arch-general] kde4 loads kde3 parts -- is this a packaging issue?

Peter Lewis plewis at aur.archlinux.org
Sat Feb 26 05:18:07 EST 2011

On Saturday 26 February 2011 04:50:50 David C. Rankin wrote:
>   I need some help figuring out where to start in trying to keep kde4 from

Just a wild guess from someone who spent quite a while trying to get KDE 3.5.n
installed in /opt load in an environment with 3.5.m was installed in /usr
(where n>m): what is your $KDEDIRS variable? (Note the fact that KDE has used
singular and plural of this variable over the years).

Additionally, I suppose it might be an XDG thing. Take a look inside some of
the .desktop files, e.g. for plasma:

/usr/share/autostart/plasma-desktop.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=plasma-desktop
X-DBUS-StartupType=wait
Name=Plasma Desktop Workspace

<snip translations>

Type=Service
X-KDE-StartupNotify=false
OnlyShowIn=KDE;
X-KDE-autostart-phase=0

The key here is that something detected that you're in KDE, and hence the
OnlyShowIn=KDE kicked in and loaded it.

I know much less than other on this list about how these XDG things work, but
it seems to me you might need to have some new option for OnlyShowIn for KDE3
or TRINITY or somesuch.

Pete.