[arch-general] syslog-ng makes a kernel WARNING in 2.6.38

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat Feb 26 22:18:51 EST 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Damjan <gdamjan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running a self compiled 2.6.38-rc6-00113-g4662db4 on my 64bit desktop,
> and I get a nasty warning in dmesg complaining about capabilities.
>
> Is this a syslog-ng issue, or something with the package in Arch, or maybe I
> need to setup some capabilities to the binary?
>
> syslog-ng is 3.2.2-1, the full kernel warning is below, but afaik most
> important is:
> Attempt to access syslog with CAP_SYS_ADMIN but no CAP_SYSLOG (deprecated).

This is nothing to be concerned about. 2.6.38 added a new capability
(CAP_SYSLOG) and deprecated CAP_SYS_ADMIN for accessing syslog. The
warning just means that syslog-ng does not use the new capability yet
(so it works like it did pre-2.6.38). From what I read, it is not
entirely trivial to move syslog-ng over to CAP_SYSLOG (due to wanting
backwards compatibility with kernels before 2.6.38), but they are
working on it.

In short, it is harmless, and the warning will go away in a future
release of syslog-ng.

Cheers,

Tom